Saturday, August 4, 2007

On being a Superhero..............


WHAT IS A SUPERHERO? Well, I was at the Science Center here in town with my kid. It was interesting to see the various forms of melding science into the superhero world. I did not know (silly me) how science and Marvel Comics really can teach a kid to be gung ho about math and the various sciences such as physics, chemistry etc...

It was neat to see children of all ages and races enjoying themselves at the center.

For me a superhero can be just about anyone-- one's mother, father, sister, brother or friend. Anyone who tries to set a good example despite the odds...i.e. a single mom raising her kid alone with little help from others. A recovering drug addict or alcoholic trying to make right with their life. People who have overcame surmountable odds to just live their life and make the most of it.

I was watching the relatively new series, "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" on the Sci fi channel and this one lady really touched my heart. She was raised on the mean streets overcoming negative stats associated with someone raised within that the economic hell hole and become a security guard. To me, she is a hero and I hope she makes it to the final.

I think anyone can be a hero, just think of others, do right by your kids, your family, save the environment...those types of things.

No comments: