Friday, September 14, 2007

Dating






DATING CAN MAKE ONE FEEL SO UTTERLY ALONE. Especially when it seems so freaking hard these days or is it because I am older??????????




Dating as a single mom has its advantages and disadvantages. Positive in that you can usually weed out the a$$holes who could care less you have a kid and negative in that those people CAN be such a$$holes.




Also, dating at 38 (going on 39 9/18/07) is interesting in a sociological perspective. I do, yes feel a kind of rush to hurry up and find Mr. Right...but at 38 I also know how to sift through the bull$hit so as I do not waste my time on Mr. Wrong. My ex still calls me, wanting me to re-visit him but I know he needs to get on with his life and find his Omani Mrs. Right. Just being realistic. Of course it hurts to know 8 years of togetherness is no longer viable but we should take the good with the bad, learn from our mistakes and treasure the good times. Life is far too short and precious to be negative.




And WHY is there such an obvious discrimination between the sexes in regards to dating and the older woman? I mean, seems to me women these days are taking better care of themselves, do not have that ugh...old maid look about them. I think that society has placed some unrealistic goals on older women as compared to men. Hey, maybe I am wrong but compare a single 38 year old man to a single 38 year old woman and see where the chips may fly when it comes to which is seen as being more attractive and pleasing in the dating world realm??




The best solution is just to enjoy your life, live for the beautiful moments, work through the hard ones (find solace in being you....)enjoy your youth and your middle years--accept growing older...life is just too invaluable to waste on pettiness and men who think your age is equivalent to an expiration date. Vincit qui se vincit - She/he conquers who conquers her/himself.






2 comments:

Bravecat said...

"...compare a single 38 year old man to a single 38 year old woman and see where the chips may fly when it comes to which is seen as being more attractive and pleasing in the dating world realm??"

Sad but true, 38 year old men are "just the right age to start thinking about settling down". Unfair.

Marianna said...

Amen to that. I am seeing a SLOW transgression regarding older women these days in hollywood and media portrayl. A tough battle. I think older women have so much to offer and not just when it comes to dating but to just the world at large. People say I look younger than my age, a blessing but 38 isn't 98...though I plan to see 100. :-)