Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Attending a Turkey Shoot this Sunday

Should prove to be interesting. I have never been to one before and this one takes place in Illinois. I will try and post some pictures if I shoot any (no pun intended). It involves aiming a shotgun at a stationary target and if I am the closest to the bull's eye I win a frozen turkey. I will be using a shotgun for the second time in my life...first time dad tried to teach me...ended up bruising my shoulder but still should be fun. I love shooting at targets (except animals of course)....in the Army I used the M-16 auto rifle, M-60 machine gun and M-209 grenade launcher...all were fun and I did hit my targets. :-)

There will be games and other festivities to enjoy. Should be fun.

Some more info I found regarding this past time:

A Turkey Shoot is an organized Trapshooting event.

First things first... There are no real live turkeys involved.A Turkey Shoot is a trapshooting event hosted by many clubs usually close to Thanksgiving.
Frozen turkeys are awarded as prizes. The turkeys are normally taken home and are used as part of the winner's Thanksgiving dinner.

Turkeys left at the club may end up being eaten by hungry club members.
There are many chances to win a turkey. Normally, over fifty turkeys are awarded each day of the event. You can be the best shot in the club and not win one, and at the same time you can be a beginner and take home three turkeys.
A "turkey shoot" is also a shooting contest where frozen turkeys are awarded as prizes. The shoot is most commonly held, using shotguns aimed at thrown clay targets, much as trap shooting contests are held.


Mmmmm...good eatin's........



2 comments:

Rebellious Arab Girl said...

Can you please help me?

October 27th, 2007 will be "Blog about your favorite blogger day!"

More info please visit: http://www.rebelliousarabgirl.ne...irl.net/? p=1009

Marianna said...

No problem...what do you need? :-)