Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Random thoughts of my military experience


I served close to 16 years, mostly Army, Army Reserves and a 1 1/2 year stint in the Air Guard. I joined at 17 and initially did so to serve my country, obtian money for college, learn a trade and explore my world.

BOY do I miss it........nothing comes quite close to the comradarie I felt while serving. The military has its own unique sub-culture...its own language, creed, faith, and beliefs. It helped mold me into the woman I am today.

I cannot fathom never to have joined. I always felt that the military was part of who and what I am. I knew at 15 I wanted to serve and at 39 I miss it dearly. There were unique friendships made, tears shed, moments lost...the separation from family was difficult. When I left home at 17 I was still a novice at life....and the Army taught me to be all that I could be. I knew that my saving grace was joining. A shy girl the Army helped me to break out of that shell and to develop my mind and body into something that I feel I had no other choice but to do, to be.

I will always treasure my time serving my country. My heart goes out to the men and women who currently serve, here and overseas. I work along side the Army Reserve Command at my present assignment. Working for the federal government still gives me a chance to serve my country..albeit not in uniform but in my heart I will always retain that piece of myself who was a soldier...

No comments: