Tuesday, October 16, 2007

CELEBRATING LIFE......

LIFE IS PRECIOUS....too bad some people cannot realize this until it is too late i.e...when they are old and bitter about past regrets.

I do have regrets but I have many more joyous occasions to be grateful for.
Sure I can feel down and out because of certain circumstances in my life but why be stuck in the doldrums all the time? If you have the power to change your circumstances DO it...for example, I have three college degrees and I am kind of bummed that I currently am not using them. I still put out resumes and search job links to see what is out there. Once my daughter graduates from college I am pretty hard put to remain in St. Louis. I am looking to move to maybe Kansas City. My kid can still receive a Missouri scholarship as long as she attends a Missouri university.


Being a single mother is hard. However, I gained so much by having my daughter. It was tough being on welfare, holding three jobs while in college but I did it and so can any other single mom out there who has the fire within her to celebrate life and move forward. Don't wait until you are an old woman before you realize how precious life is....don't let time slip you by.
I see the beauty around me, the people, my family...and I realized how lucky I am in so many ways. My life has been unique--I have seen and accomplished so much. At 39 years I know that there are still many many wonderful opportunities and goals that are still within my reach. I just need to have a positive outlook, celebrate my life, celebrate the life of others and treasure the journey God has given me to see through.

Here is a great book to read that will help you do just that:

British Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks has an extraordinary way with words--poetical, philosophical, magical, intensely personal and exquisitely inspirational. His latest book, Celebrating Life: Finding Happiness in Unexpected Places is a joyous discovery of the power of prayer, the majesty of faith, the landscape of beauty, the meaning of happiness, the glory of God, and, above all, the gift of life--which, he says, is nothing more than "being ourselves."
Making a blessing over life, writes the Chief Rabbi, is the best way of turning life into a blessing. God often chooses circuitous routes, "but it helps to know that where we are, here, now, is where we need to be." And, quoting the 19th-century philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore, he adds: "We are worth what we are willing to share with others... Happiness is not made by what we own: it is what we share." Shot through with humility, humour and hope, this book is itself an act of sharing. Each of the 50-odd essays--the summation of Rabbi Sacks's own tests and tribulations--provides a rich and rewarding read to anyone with five minutes or so to spare, particularly (though not exclusively) in the throes of a fraught and frustrating day. The intimate, and often courageous, reflections of one of this country's most respected religious leaders, they constitute a powerful antidote to despair and depression, a path to happiness and peace, and a recognition, in the Chief Rabbi's words, that "life is beautiful if we open our eyes." --Meir Persoff


No comments: