Monday, July 2, 2007

Being Puerto Rican


I grew up on the brink of two worlds: The majority of being Caucasian and the minority of being Hispanic. My mother is Puerto Rican while my dad is of Irish descent. He met my mother while in the Navy. I had to face racism very early. Was hard. I sometimes did not know which world I belonged to and had to fight to be accepted into mainstream society for being what some of my high school classmates dubbed me as: a "halfbreed". With the world changing and mixed families being quite common I wonder about these very same high school hooligans who used to poke fun at my rich heritage. I have never attended any of my high school reunions due to still be sensitive over the bigotry I faced as a teen. As an adult I realized I should never let anyone have that kind of perverse power over me. I am proud to be Latina, I am proud to be White. I have the best of both worlds and embrace them both.

No comments: