Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Camels


Camels have always played an important role in Middle Eastern history with their resilience to the heat and ability to survive with limited amounts of water. Now the camels you see here are ones I viewed in Oman. There were about five of them, all female and when they saw me I swear to God that they came running in their pen to greet me. One even smiled and gave me two kisses. She smelled like sweet hay. I will always remember their trust in me and how enthusiastic they were to greet this Midwestern gal. I took a picture of these two and you can tell how sweet they are.
I was really impressed with the topography in Oman and the diversity of its landscape. Some people might think of the Middle East as being arid, dry and all desert but this is just not so. Yes, it seems that Eastern Oman is arid and dry but if you go South like towards Salalah, it lush and green. I hope one day to return. I did go hiking at Green Mountain. Here is a link:
I found the area quite beautiful and just simply gorgeous!!

No comments: