Friday, May 30, 2008

Dealing with different personalities at work

Not only are we losing a wonderful coach, my illustrious team has to prepare themselves for a new one. In the almost 6 years I have been here we have had 3 coaches.

The first coach moved on to a higher position, the second one...well...she had some personal issues that were affecting the team. Now the third, and my most fav...is moving on to greener pastures.

Dealing with different personalities at work can be challenging. (And this is putting it mildly). One cannot imagine all the office soap opera drama which occurs at NARA.

For example...(and I have to vent because this guy sometimes can really be an arse).

There is this one team mate who seems not to understand the word "tact" when it comes with discussing his personal life or forcing his opinions on others.

He has his positive attributes but when he makes himself out into a martyr my sympathies can only last so long. I cannot stand when people feel like they are the only ones in the world with issues and then has to announce them practically every day so that everyone feels sorry for them.

I believe when you come to work here or pretty much anywhere there are some things we simply do NOT discuss.

As you can tell this is a venting blog but this one team mate really got under my skin.

Ok...on to why I am ranting:

I gave money to a beloved team mate of mine (I really dig her). She is one cool 23 year old...anyway....he gets on my case because I am not bringing an actual food dish in for the going away party for our coach. I gave money for the cake and decorations. He goes into some kind of tangent that I need to bring something in......I tell him matter of factly I gave what I can afford and am sure there are people who are bringing in dishes worth less dollar wise than what I contributed but now I am being petty so should stop.

Anyway, he starts crying about how he gave money and has 9 people living at home...etc....etc....everyone on the team knows how much he sacrifices for his children who are almost in their 30's (ok...not 30's but mid-twenties)...and they do not help out at home money wise or otherwise....well my lad.....that isn't any of our concern here.

So if I hear anything today from his jack assed mouth I plan on putting him in his place because the rantings of this Puerto Rican/Irish girl shall be heard!

2 comments:

BrianTheGirl said...

Thanks for the props on being a cool 23 year old. I really appreciate it.
Although, our coach is leaving and not everyone on our team is the greatest, we still have each other as neighbors and it cant get any better.
I do hope though that this job oppurtunity comes your way. You really work hard and only deserve the best and even though youre not respected by all here and some people like to pretend like the world is crashing down on them, youve actually been through a lot and you keep your head up and look towards the future. I really respect you and look up to you. Call it a mentor if you'd like, I call it a really good friend.
So bring on the new coach, kick oh whats his face in the teeth..whatever needs to happen will happen and we have always got each other as neighbors :)
Much <3 to ya.

Marianna said...

So true and great advice!!! As always you touch my heart!!!