Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Choices

On English Sabla we are currently having a discussion/argument regarding nursing homes in Oman.

I completely understand the cultures and mindset of people out there who frown upon such institutions because of what it secretly entails.....not being able to personally care for your parent at home.

Puerto Rico is similar in attitude. I had an aunt who passed away at the ripe age of 90. She suffered from dementia and her daughter cared for her at home. I can just imagine the stress and trauma placed upon the daughter to watch her mother deteriorate.

I find such places as nursing homes and the most recent development of adult day care centers as becoming essential for societies like the United States.

For myself, both options are a godsend and I do not see anything wrong with placing a loved one in a reputable home if it is the best thing for that family member....especially if certain medical needs must be met and the child cannot provide this at home.

Culture plays allot on how it influences elderly care.

I do understand why Hispanics and Arabs prefer to care for their parents at home. There is obligation, compassion, love and respect for this human being. My own mother never quite understood the concept of nursing homes....even to this day. God bless her....at 69 she is one feisty lady and I could not imagine placing her into one. She is vibrant, colorful, simply passionate about life and being a mother to us three children.

The forum posting caused me to pause and seriously think about my own aging parents and it begs the question of "what if."

Food for thought.

No comments: