Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sicko


Watched an interesting documentary today from Michael Moore. Sometimes it made me angry other times completely shocked. And it brought me to tears.

Forty-seven million Americans, including more than 9 million children, are living without health care coverage.

Each year, more and more hard-working families are joining the ranks of the uninsured.

I think about my father who chooses to turn down Medicare at 65 years of age because it is cheaper for him to receive health care benefits from the VA...not like they are the best but at least it's something.

Dad is on several medications and it truly saddens me that he struggles at times to budget his medication to make it last while in other countries the same meds cost much much less--and at times free.

And it's not getting any easier.

My heart was in turmoil watching this documentary unfold. I listened and watched the various stories unfold of 9/11 workers not receiving proper healthcare....patients unabled to pay their hospital bill being dumped off in hospital gowns in Skid Row.
I wonder and my heart cries out for Americans who struggle each and every day to make ends meet and with the economy spiraling ever downward as it has this past couple of years....trying to remain healthy and pay for one's health care seems to become an ever present battle among US citizens.

What is going on?

Who benefits?

Certainly not the average American struggling to meet their basic necessities.

Warped.

Where is our sense of priority for our elderly?
Our sick?
For the millions of uninsured--and these include people with one or more jobs. Treating the sick is a business not a divine calling.

Tell me please....for I beg to try and understand...................for health care is not a privilege but a right.

No comments: