Friday, July 11, 2008

United Yorkie Rescue

My sister and brother-in-law foster rescued Yorkies over in Illinois. I have included the picture and profile of Zoey....the current dog they are fostering. If you know of someone wanting to give an animal a better (& deserving chance) at life please pass this post around:

Original Bio 07/03/08: Hi, my name is Zoey! I am a sweet little Yorkshire Terrier who will eventually need a loving home. My age has been estimated to be approximately 5 years old. Though my past life has had hardships I do so look forward to making one special family complete one day. My life was previously one of solitude. My main purpose was to breed. Luckily I was rescued by loving humans and am now currently being fostered so that my trust in people will return. You see, I was stuck in a cage with 3 other Yorkies and it is the opinion of my foster mom that I was the bottom of the pecking order and most likely picked on. I never felt the grass under my feet or been outside my entire life. My whole world was just a wire cage. You can only imagine what 5 years in such a confined space can do to a little dog's spirit. Mine is obviously broken and time/love is going to be my best friend right now.

Currently I am relearning how to handle a normal environment which every dog should by rights have when brought into this world. Right now I am taking "baby steps" to familiarize myself with normal living conditions. My Foster Mom has been very patient with me you see, right now I only walk on carpet because I really do not understand what hardwood floors are as yet. But I am slowly learning to trust again. Patience is my friend.

Though I want more then anything to be adopted by a loving family such as yours, I feel that I will need some more time with touch therapy before I can be what we consider an adoptable dog. But I know I want to live the rest of my years in a happy home so that my memories of humans aren't sad ones.

My Foster Mom is dying to see me wag my little tail, just once, but right now I'm still so scared that I only wish to keep my little wagger between my legs. Well, except when I'm sleeping because I'm so relaxed then. I know that I am a very lucky girl. I was almost put to sleep twice before being saved by the United Yorkie Rescue. Due to my EXTREME fear of people I growl and at times attempt to bite when someone tries to pick me up. I do this out of pure fear and not aggression. I once bit my Foster Mom and it hurt her but she said on a scale from 1 to 10 it only hurt very little. I do know that I need to get over this before I can be put up for adoption. My Foster Mom says it's as if I'm trying to act tough.

I have to say that the other animals in the house do not bother me. My Foster Mom has two Yorkies and two cats. One of the Yorkies is also a male rescue Yorkie and I have seen only good things from that little boy. However at this time I simply want nothing to do with them. But oh boy I do hope one day to see the world through the eyes of love. I feel like I have a lot of potential. My humans think that I am one cute little 8 pound butterball. It's hard not to love me after all I've been through but as much as I would love to be adopted to a loving family, right now I wish to stay with my foster mom until I can stop being afraid and trust again.

Website:
http://www.unitedyorkierescue.org/?page_id=2

No comments: