Monday, July 21, 2008

Targeting "those abs"

One of the most frustraing parts of the body are the abs.....


No one has to tell me this.


If genetically you are NOT predisposed to rock hard abs from little effort people like me who are of Hispanic descent seem to have a more difficult (and laborious time) in getting their muscles to obey.


I have wracked my poor mind trying to think up innovative ways of getting to my set goals.


Perseverance does pay off and am not one about to give up:


When it comes to losing weight and keeping it off, many Americans are called but few are successful. Yet, individuals who have "beaten the odds" in weight management share some commonalities in how they've achieved success.
Based on more than 20 years of working with overweight clients, John Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Clinic at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine, offers the following recommendations for successful weight management:

Regular physical activity. Exercise not only increases caloric expenditure, it increases feelings of well-being and perceived energy level. Studies also suggest exercise can be effective in regulating appetite. However, the challenge is to incorporate exercise into other life-long habits.

Social support. Long-term weight regulation is easier when individuals are supported in their goals by family, friends, colleagues and treatment support groups.

Internal motivation. Those who demonstrate internal motivation such as "I'm doing this to be in charge of my life," are more successful in weight management than those who focus on external reasons like "fitting into a new pair of jeans."

Positive health benefits. Focusing on positive health benefits such as an ability to walk further without being winded, increases the chances of successful long-term weight management.
Smaller, more frequent meals. Eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day helps maintain blood sugar levels and avoids feelings of starvation, which can lead to binging.

Gradual changes. Those who make gradual changes in diet and exercise are more likely to successfully manage their weight in the long run, than those who make dramatic changes at once.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all makes sense.....you have to take this one step at a time...don't bite off more than you can chew as the old saying goes...(because if you do it'll just go to your hips).

Seriously though, when I lost all the weight I did (50 pounds total) it took time and yes effort but it did happen. I had to break down my ideal weight loss in manageable steps and it seems like I need to do the same with getting my muscle right where I want them to be.

No comments: