Sunday, July 20, 2008

Loyalty of a cat

I was never a cat person growing up. All my life I was surrounded by dogs. When I moved into an apartment I craved a pet. I wanted that unconditional love an animal would bring. They are also wonderful stress relievers.

My daughter picked out a black cat and she was your typical domestic. I played with her some but she tied herself to my daughter more so than to myself.

A few years later I decided to buy a Himalayan because I adore their personality and markings. One day at work I read the St. Louis Post Dispatch and discovered Himmie kittens for sale. Eager for such a companion, I drove and picked up Simba (or rather he chose me). He was a mere 2 months old and just learning how to eat solids.

We bonded very quickly.

Raising a 2 month old was difficult at first. His meowing was insistent due to unfamiliar surroundings. However, the eternal mother in me took over and with patience he adjusted. Simba became my ever present little shadow and for the next 3 years continues to be so.

(As I type this post he is cuddled next to my chair. Simba loves to follow me from room to room and at times will catch him staring at me with his gorgeous blue eyes.)

Cats do have allot of positive qualities for one they do not smell. And yes I give him a bath roughly once a month. I don't have to worry about taking him out on walks to go "potty" and he doesn't bark though he does show his emotions through variations of meows....I have become an expert to his moods and sounds.

Some research shows that this breed tend to be loyal to one person and one person only....this figures out precisely as to why Simba is always by my side.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Life in this Australia,

Marianna, like you I grew up with dogs, and horses and other animals as well.

I have two cats and they both greet me when I arrive home. They are totally loyal and reserve most of their affection for me. Dogs are good mates, but so are cats.
Ken

Marianna said...

After working for Uncle Sam all day I love coming home to Simba and receiving a bundful of furry love. ;^) Thanks for viewing my blog ken!