Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Job Interview Phobia (Performance Anxiety)?????

I don't have too many phobias except being afraid of heights and the dark...yes at my age I still get the jeebies being alone in the dark...and this is where Simba becomes my proverbial little white knight in shining armor.

Just knowing that my resume and KSA's (knowledge, skills and abilities) made it through the initial process gives me a small ray of hope. I was informed someone else in the Core who applied received a rejection letter and that has to be difficult to digest. But I always feel in persevering and always go for your dreams...sometimes takes a little longer than you would like but still never give up.

Well, if I am selected for the Archivist interview I am going to have to manage somehow NOT to flub my "lines" as I try to market myself for this totally awesome position.

I look great on paper per se but get me in a room full of people analyzing everything that pops out of my mouth and that is where my anxiety is exposed.

So, how does a woman in her late 30's approach such a dilemma? :^(

I know I am well qualified for the position, my education and military experience scream Archivist material!

It is like this job was made just for someone like myself. I love history, military history....I have worked for NARA going on 6 years now and I worked the "front lines" so to speak as a tech.

Just hire me! Forget the interview!


Some tips to ace an interview:
During interview

Once the interview process starts, you should try to relax, listen thoughtfully and get them to like you.
Relax

Before going into the interview, take a deep breath to center yourself and get relaxed. Take your time. If you act anxious and ready to start the process, you will get anxious and nervous.

Listen

You need to be very aware of the people interviewing you and their moods. You need to listen carefully and act is if he or she is the most important person.

Some people being interviewed talk too much, trying to make a big impression. But often the person doing the interview is the one who wants to talk and control the dialog. You need to listen carefully to what the person says and not be overly anxious to impress. Listening will allow you to answer the questions better.

Get them to like you

It is important to get the people involved in the interview to like you. You want to present yourself as a friendly person that they would like to have on their team.
Arrogance or some other negative personality trait may not be appreciated. Certainly, never point out personal opinions or weaknesses you may think you have.
Note that a common question asked in an interview is: "Tell me your weaknesses." You need to prepare to answer that question with a positive remark. An example may be: "One weakness is that I try to do a perfect job. I may even do extra work to make sure the job is excellent."

Summary

You want to be natural in your job interview and not fearful or arrogant. You need to thoroughly prepare for the interview. Then you should present yourself in a positive manner, avoiding the impression of being nervous. Relax, listen thoughtfully and get them to like you. Following these steps will help you do a good job in your interview and will help to overcome any fears you may have.

(just breathe....breathe)

Websites:
http://www.casource.com/memberGlobal/initViewArticleAction.do?id=100073
http://www.socialphobia.org/whatis.html
http://www.school-for-champions.com/career/fear_job_interview.htm