Monday, June 30, 2008

Tips on being a single parent

Well, for one patience is indeed a virtue...I found out quickly how practical it was to have this priceless commodity.

Chasing around toddlers also took some savvy talent. My daughter was quite the creative little gal hiding in the most unexpected of places including the dryer (yes) and the hamper.

She kept me on my toes so another important element to add to the mix is an over abundance of energy. My kid had a knack of causing mischief.....guess she gets this from dear ol' mom...and why I had such a svelte figure back then lol....

What I also found to be of greatest importance is being involved with your children. I know working 40 plus hour work weeks can take their toll (trust me I know) however being a parent also means going beyond what you think you are capable of.

Your children will thank you later when you consciously set aside quality time to actually care enough to be involved in their lives.

I found with my own child that when you discover what their passions are and assist them in constructively finding outlets to explore these talents--this will benefit the both of you in the long run.

Seriously though being a single parent has many rewards...though it is a road full of obstacles I guess it is how you approach them which determines your failures and successes of raising a child single-handily.


(And always remember to set aside some "me" time).

2 comments:

Zaathros said...

I agree with so much of this post, especially the part about finding your child's interest and helping them explore it. This lets them know that you think what they think and feel is important and gives them something positive to put their time and energy into. We know those kids have energy!

Anonymous said...

Being a parent is a lifelong commitment...for me doesn't end at 18....and being a single parent can be extra tough. However, with love and attention a child stemming from a single parent household will always feel loved and secure.