Monday, June 9, 2008

Hiking in the Missouri Woods

One thing I have learned from my experience yesterday is to take a backpack. I was thinking of bringing one but did not.

NOW I know better.

It was fun though. We were out there for maybe 5 hours. Reminds me of my own childhood days spent exploring the woods across from my home in Indiana. Yeah, yeah....I'm a country girl for sure!
After experiencing a few dizzy spells I knew I was getting dehydrated.
I experienced heat exhaustion before in the Army during basic training. Stationed at Ft. Jackson over in Tank Hill (Huuurahhhhh--ok....had to do it)....and fainted from the heat.

I still remember that day. I woke up with my gorgeous drill sergeant's face hovering over me. Somehow he managed to cradle my head in his lap and all the women from my Platoon (D-1-1)hovering over me as well with tears in their eyes. Back then I weighed a mere 100 pounds and did not eat properly. Long story there won't get into it. Well, I felt bad that they experienced it. I was a favorite in the platoon and women are well....they tend to become attached quickly.
THAT heat exhaustion episode was a scary experience due to the fact you have NO control over your body when you pass out.

I felt I was on the brink of passing out on the trail. However, the stoic soldier in me kept trudging through and I marched on so to speak....no pun intended. Managed to pull off maybe 7 ticks. 3 I found at home. I don't get all girlie grossed out...still......I don't like the little critters (can get Lyme Disease) but can handle plucking them off of my body. The largest tick was near the hairline. (I think I will wear a baseball cap next time)...yes....for sure. :^)

Overall it was a fun and exhilarating experience more ways than one (this one view from a bluff overlooking the Missouri River was gorgeous) Took my breath away. I need to bring along my camera next time to capture the tranquil yet majestic essence of the woods....and I know better now to stock up on supplies. The heat was over 92 degrees thus we were losing allot of water through sweat.
Next time I definitely will be hauling along an additional supply of water and granola bars for more energy!!

No comments: