Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zoey Update


Hi everyone.. Thank you so very much for your outpouring of love regarding my story. It makes me feel so special inside. Since my mom's last entry I have made several significant baby steps. She is completely overwhelmed with pride for my bravery. For the first time this week I started giving my foster mommy kisses. I have to admit, I'm so cute exposing my belly for that extra loving attention...what dog doesn't want her tummy rubbed? My foster mom showers me with kisses around my face so I thought it would be nice to give her a couple of my own wet kisses to show my appreciation. This weekend we took a significant step forward in my emotional development. All of us piled into a car and headed off on a mini-vacation to Michigan City. I was such a good little girl. You see, my foster dad has an extended truck so I would lay in the back cab on a pillow during the entire trip sleeping and dreaming about my future. I have also begun demonstrating more affection to humans. When my foster mom comes home I get so excited that I run in a circle while wagging my tail. Who would have thought that I could come from being scared of my shadow to now wagging my tail everyday? Another significant milestone is that I took my first walk on a leash a few weeks ago and have made amazing progress. Though I have to admit I do walk with my tail in between my legs my foster mom knows I am headed in the right direction. Baby steps are critical.
Mommy takes me at night so there is less distractions and fears to interfere with learning how to walk on the leash. With all this great progress there are still some things that I'm working on. Unfortunately I continue to bite at my foster dad. It has decreased some, but not entirely. I don't know why I'm so scared of him. I know patience is the key. He is so sweet to me, giving me belly rubs, scratching the back of my ear but for some reason I'm still scared and me trying to bite him scares him too. Such a big guy to be scared by little ol' me but when I'm scared I do bite, that is something that you need to know.
Right now my foster mom thinks that I would not be the best dog for people with children. Who knows - years from now - I could be great with kids but as of stated it would most likely take a year or so of socialization. I'm better off with adults that know how to handle me. I'm still not potty trained and my vet states I need some time for this but moving forward. I don't mind going potty where I sleep so the crate training doesn't work on me. Hey, if you went potty where you slept for 5 years, you too would have a hard time understanding why all of a sudden it isn't allowed. Whoever adopts me must expect that I will make accidents and that there is a possibility that I may never be completely potty trained. No human knows what the future has in store for me. One day I could be completely potty trained or I may never be but my foster mom says that she owes it to my future forever home to give the warning.
I did have a pretty bad ear infection last week but thankfully it's all gone now. My vet said that I have a luxating patella which is a knee cap that moves out of its normal location. She said that it is a common knee problem in Yorkies but that whoever adopts me needs to know that in my later years I could acquire arthritis. She said there are supplemental vitamins called Synovi G3 that promotes healthy joint function and assists with any future problems. I don't have any problems currently but you need to know that a vitamin will help me secure a future with less joint problems.
Aside from all of this I'm so happy to be where I'm at. I have started playing with the other dogs and show no aggression toward any of the animals. I have the most confidence that one day you will see that I'm as normal as any other dog. I can't believe how lucky I am to get a 3rd chance at life after almost being put down twice. I love life more then I ever have and you can see it now that my tail is finally wagging.

Please check out United Yorkie Rescue

No comments: