Friday, August 8, 2008

Banking Leave

As a government worker I don't get a predetermined amount of sick days or annual leave at the beginning of each year. Instead I earn my benefits every pay period. I can bank my leave for vacation or an emergency or use it as it comes which is not a good thing to do.

I am trying to bank my leave for my brother's wedding...save up my sick leave for myself or whatever family emergencies come about.

I kind of wish that American workers had better benefits in terms of our vacation/sick leave like other industrialized nations. Sometimes we drag ourselves to work when we should really remain at home recovering from an illness, injury, you name it; but allot of us don't because we are trying to save up leave. That or we are hesitant to take it due to the policies of (put name of company here) and losing our job. Another reason I am SO GRATEFUL to work where I do. Of course we have people who abuse their allotted annual/sick leave and they can be placed on leave restriction. And deservedly so. You are there to work not to get paid for being absentia.

At NARA we utilize flex time and it comes in handy when I have say a dr's appt. I can go to work around 6am...leave at 2:30 and schedule my dr's appt. for later in afternoon all the while keeping my leave intact. Trust me, flex time is a WONDERFUL benefit to have and to be used wisely.

With overtime offered again (on my knees thanking the overtime gods.) I see this as a Godsend during these economic woes. I will be working roughly 60 hour weeks for the next couple of weeks.

(This gal sorely needs a vacation on the beach somewhere...or mountains...someplace relaxing.)

As a federal employee I am most grateful for the paid holidays....especially when they land on either a Friday or Monday because it gives me 3 days of respite.

I think about American workers who do not have the same benefits as myself, work two or more jobs to make ends meet and rarely get any time off.

When I think about those individuals makes me realize how lucky I am in so many regards to have my own federal benefits package.

But will still be banking that leave.

No comments: