Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sumo Wrestling--St. Louis Japanese Festival 2008

Watching the American Sumos (from Hawaii) wrestle at the botanical gardens was a wonderful experience. My daughter had her picture taken with them along with gaining their autographs:



Sumo is a Japanese kind of wrestling and Japan’s national sport. It originated in ancient times as religious performances to the Shinto gods. Nowadays, many ancient rituals are still followed. The basic rules of sumo are simple: the wrestler who either first touches the floor with something other than his sole or leaves the ring before his opponent, loses.


My daughter personally meet “Koryu” and “Sunahama” who are former professional sumo who now reside in Hawaii. Their personalities were enigmatic and my kid practiced her Japanese with them...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For my daughter and I it was quite an honor to be in their presence and for my daughter to meet them in person.

No comments: