Thursday, August 7, 2008

I Dreamed of Africa


Though some may find this movie "boring" I loved it. Read the book...and this woman's spiritual safari touched my heart. I always longed to visit this continent...place my mark there somehow....yearning to chase my own dreams...


The story is of Kuki, an avid conservationist and her experiences living in the African wild.


In March of 1980, (Kuki) Gallmann encountered great tragedy in her own life: her husband Paolo died in an auto accident while transporting a crib for his unborn daughter to his home. Then three years later her 17-year-old son, Emanuele, a passionate herpetologist, was killed on the eve of leaving for Stanford University while attempting to extract venom to prepare serum from a viper.


“They were both so deeply involved with the animals and the land,” says Ms. Gallmann. ”So, in their honor—in order to make their journey through life meaningful–I decided to dedicate my life and resources to saving the environment of Kenya and started the Gallmann Memorial Foundation.”


Gallmann explained that she wrote I Dream of Africa because she “wanted to tell the story as it happened. It may read like a novel but it’s all real. And the pain was overcome with positive action–this is what people need.”


Sometimes the adventure of a lifetime becomes life itself.

No comments: