Friday, August 8, 2008

Exercising for the "right" reasons


When I ventured on my "quest" to lose weight little did I know three years later I would have surpassed my goal--ending up losing 50 pounds. At 37 years of age I felt completely overwhelmed, weighing in a 190 pounds, all piled on a 5'7" frame. I realized I had to lose the weight. With heart disease and diabetes prevalent on both sides of my family, I had to take action....and I did.


I exercised for the right reasons...those were a.) To Lose Weight and b.) To stay healthy.


Right now my goal is to firm up this soon to be 40 year old body and greet the decade with grace and style.


There are many other advantageous reasons for staying in shape...besides looking good ;^) Exercise adds energy, motivation, and overall well-being.


If you exercise to look good for others and not for yourself how true to your goals are you really being? Sure it's a wonderful motivator but when you base your self-worth solely on what others think of you how long do you think the routine will last....and honestly...what would you be feeling in regards to your own sense of self?


Getting fit for all the right reasons explores this issue: Women need to find the intrinsic joy in exercise. Discovering this motivating tool seems to be the key in overall mental and physical well-being. The authors of the blog discuss overcoming exercise fears, and getting women to improve their outlook on life.
As they stated...it isn't an easy road to follow but one well worth the journey.

No comments: