Sunday, August 31, 2008

Taking control




I watched a show this afternoon on TLC: Big as Life, regarding the alarming rate of obesity rising in America. Over half of the US population is overweight. An alarming statistic. The American map pictured illustrates U.S. Obesity Trends 1989–2007. According to the progam by the end of this century 100% of the US population will be overweight. My jaw dropped on THAT one.


Obesity as an epidemic....What could this mean? Are people not controlling their portions? Are we becoming a nation of fast food eaters? Laziness? What is it?


Stress........OCD compulsions.........bad habits.............a quick fix............a set lifestyle?


Yes, I too was overweight at 190 pounds and I decided to take control of what I put in my mouth. Lost 50 pounds in three years. It can be done but not by dieting alone if you do not consciously alter your eating habits. What I found with myself at least....is that when I deprived myself of certain goodies (i.e. McDonald's...love their french fries...chocolate, soda) I would overcompensate and all those intense calorie counting days were shot in an instant.


I had to control my desires, urges...whatever you wish to call it. Quit feeling sorry for myself and take charge of my life. My life.


I completely understand that there are predisposed conditions out there (genetics) which can cause people to gain weight no matter how little they eat. I would think that as the pounds were put on these individuals would actively seek out help in finding out why they continue to gain weight. When do we accept responsibility for our own life?


We don't want to become a society where our health care system becomes overtaxed because of simple solutions. For one, diabetes is a horrible disease, not to mention heart disease, high blood pressure and a slew of other issues out there which can take away a wonderful life.


What makes some individuals take control and others let go?

Depression?

Pity?

What?

Overweight and Obesity: An Overview


--Overweight and obesity result from an energy imbalance. This involves eating too many calories and not getting enough physical activity.
--Body weight is the result of genes, metabolism, behavior, environment, culture, and socioeconomic status.
--Behavior and environment play a large role causing people to be overweight and obese. These are the greatest areas for prevention and treatment actions.

For myself I became tired of being tired so I decided...because something clicked within me to say enough is enough. Diabetes runs in my family, both sides and I didn't want to become a victim as it has claimed my father, grandmother, great grandmother and countless others.


Change.............just a word but can mean so much...............


Taking control of how you live your life and being proactive in staying healthy goes a long way.
A long way.

No comments: