Monday, August 18, 2008

Latina Beauty

This picture of one of my lovely cousins illustrates the ethereal beauty of the Latina woman. (I'm envious of her!)...seriously though I remember how she (memory a tad foggy) was a bit of a tomboy, and with my sister would hang out together like the 2 musketeers. They were inseparable...causing mischief but fiercely loyal to their family, their roots.

I always thought she had the exotic look of a movie star.....a sultriness which came natural...it simply exudes itself from her personality. This photo is the epitome of what a gorgeous Puerto Rican lady is like.....................


Cynthia Rose discusses the challenges of Latin beauties in her article: The Challenges of 'Cha Cha': What is Latina Beauty? The article illustrates how the....Latina style loves to perform, and revels in dramatic gestures. For, in all Latino cultures, "beauty" means more than display. Beauty means the acting-out of age-old debates. Those debates - about what it looks like and means to be female - rage afresh in every generation and in every family. Says Norte: "Beauty involves your Mom, your lover, your aunts, your best friends, Hollywood, politics, Mexican movie stars, grandparents and godparents. Our kind of beauty is dialogue."


Latin beauty to me is timeless.....exotic with a touch of mystique.


On a side note:


It will be wonderful seeing my Puerto Rican family at my brother's wedding. Because of my shyness I don't keep in touch like I should but they are always in my heart.


Spending summers in Puerto Rico as a child was like a fairytale...a whole other world separate from Midwest Indiana. Being exposed to such diversity opened me up to accepting people from all walks of life, religions, cultures, creeds.....and as I grow older I do realize how important the family is and how I need to make a better effort to keep in touch.

No comments: