Saturday, August 16, 2008

Turning 50 isn't what it used to be

CNN (?) did an article on Madonna turning 50.

I decided to read it because I was curious to see what sudden revelation was given because a celebrity was on the brink of becoming a senior citizen.

A part of me thinks.............so what.............My mom turned 50 eons ago, as did my dad.

Mom will be 70 next year and dad 66.

Yes, she married a youngin'.

But then I thought about this for a bit...fodder for the blog....and decided to create a positive spin on this entire spiel. Getting older appears to not hold the same bland stereotypes in my parent's generation.

A good thing in many aspects. (Especially with me turning 40 in about a month).

Older individuals are more health conscious (hmmm....must be the baby boomers motivation to change the status quo).

Older individuals are more active and living life to its fullest....as I plan to.

I enjoyed reading Carine Nadel's article regarding this topic and highlighted the points which mirror my own outlook:

Becoming a different age is like starting a new novel. With a book you open it up, hopefully get hooked on the first page and continue with enthusiasm until the very last word. With any luck you then realize it was so entertaining that whatever ills and problems that went on around you weren't enough to take away the excitement of the time spent reading. When you have finished with it, you get a brand new book and hope that it surpasses the last one in what you experienced. That it takes you to an entirely new level of realization that you did not think was possible. A birthday should be just the same. It should be the start of a new plot line. With any luck, the characters will be the same, but what happens to them and who joins in to make it more interesting will be full of surprises.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No one likes to feel "old". Heck, who does? I am glad that venues such as the mainstream media, healthcare, and even yes fashion is catering to the older American set...gives hope to those of us who look forward to our golden years with serenity and style.

No comments: