Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The art of cooking

I have asked for Kitchen ware this Christmas because I am on a tangent in learning how to cook in a variety of ways.

After a while churning out the same type of meal gets to be well....BORING. So I wait with bated breath on receiving nice goodies for Xmas. I am motivated and excited (OH GOD) in preparing some delicious meals for myself and unsuspecting victims err...friends and family. I want to experiment with a variety of dishes from around the globe. I think cooking can be a nice way to just relax, forget about things....enjoy the delicious smells and tantalizing flavors which this activity can bring.

I have been researching additional info about this topic (yeah call me a nerd) and found some great history and websites:

Although the art of cooking seems mysterious at first, its elements are easy to define. You can prepare foods using different methods, with a variety of equipment, ingredients and seasonings. The great world cuisines came into being when people in diverse ecosystems and climates experimented with limited regional food resources and technologies over long periods of time.

The Chinese method of stir-frying, for example, developed where large populations made firewood scarce. Brief cooking over a hot flame, stirring constantly to avoid burning, maximized fuel efficiency. The Greeks create wonderful dishes with olive oil, mint, marjoram, flour, and other locally-available ingredients.

Likewise, Meso-Americans create fantastic dishes with corn and chilies. French cuisine, which we associate with expensive restaurants, originated in the kitchens of family farmers, as did Italian and many other cuisines. Diverse regions and ethnic groups, including those of the Caribbean, India, Italy, Japan, North America, and Southeast Asia, among others, have contributed ideas we can draw from. And we must thank the Native Americans for showing us how to use our own native wild edible plants.

With patience and a bit of imagination I am sure I will do well. My daughter will become most gracious and I will be relieved to churn out some great dishes besides the usual rice and beans with a side entree.

Websites:
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Books.Folder/Wild%20Vegetarian%20Folder/ArtOfCooking.html

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/eagle/congress/johnson.html

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9423.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=r2aWRPAKgWcC&dq=relaxing+with+cooking&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=j8Q1BEDWZ_&sig=Um16hSLRLRE-BNSAwm4OH0NuPAc

No comments: