Thursday, November 15, 2007

Martial Arts

I was unable to join in November as I initially planned due to unforseen personal circumstances but I am going to join. I want the discipline, the motivation, the staimina, the rush of learning Tae Qwon Do and being able to feel good inside and out:

Self Defense

First and foremost, the Tae Kwon Do teachs a highly effective form of self defense. I can be taught techniques that will neutralize the attacks of an enemy and to disable an opponent.

Techniques range in severity from holds, throws, and blocks that will merely stop or hurt an opponent, to strikes that are designed to break bone.

Every exercise that is practiced, from blocking drills and forms that ingrain the techniques into instinct, to sparring that teaches how to see attacks coming, to conditioning that prepares our bodies for the punishment that it can take during a fight, is done with self defense in mind.


Physical Fitness


Of course, such hard training requires, and will develop, a strong and athletic body. For many people, this byproduct of the art becomes a reason in itself for continuing practice. (Mine will be just part of it but all)....Physical activity includes aerobic (blocking drills and forms) as well as anaerobic activity (sparring), strength training (pushups), and stretching (kicking drills). Regular practice will help me develop my body, maintain my health, and give me more energy (a definite plus for me).

Mental Clarity

Whether it is doing one more push up than I thought I could do (a weakness for me from my Army days), controlling my body through a complicated form that required both strength and balance, or focusing my energy into a punch that will break a board, Tae Kwon Do demands a firm control of mind over body. As the body becomes a physical manifestation of the mind, inattention, confusion, and lack of resolve will show themselves physically. Likewise, clarity of thought, focus, and confidence will result in clean, quick, crisp techniques. For many people, the strength of will and clarity of thought that is developed at practice becomes goes beyond Tae Kwon Do into day to day life (another benefit I want to attain).

In addition to the higher level mental benefits, many people find that they enjoy Tae Kwon Do, just as they will many sports. It can be challenging, exciting, and accessabe for many people.

No comments: