Friday, November 9, 2007

Women and Exercise

I have to admit that when I was a child I was more active. Growing up in the country I had the world at my feet. I swam in the lake we had in our backyard, a bike to explore and I hiked in the woods. Needless to say I was in the best shape possible when I joined the Army.

Now 20 plus years later I find myself harking back to those days...wanting that energy, the stamina, the glory of being able to exercise and keep at it. I do still exercise but of course not like I previously did in the Army. The key is finding and grabbing that motivation...the internal factor which will propel you forward. Not a man, not your friends but you...do it for yourself. Envision how you will feel inside....the strength, the energy you will gain...I remember when I was stationed in S. Korea how I felt after our runs. Granted...I have to be honest here, I grumbled, especially when we did those five miles every Friday but man...I felt so alive and invigorated! If we could capture that in a bottle and sell it...ahhhhhh............

I have discovered talk is cheap...REAL cheap. The best thing is to get into a routine. Think of exercise as brushing one's teeth and having some awesome results from all the hard work and dedication which goes into keeping in shape. Not only that but the health benefits one earns from eating right and exercising on a regular basis is priceless. With 40 looming darkly around the corner (lol) I realize all too acutely that I must strive to be and do my best. To find that strength, the discipline I had mustered all those years ago...to forge ahead, to keep at it...to run, do situps, pushups, weights....whatever it takes to be healthy, look good and feel great.

No comments: