Monday, November 26, 2007

Visiting Puerto Rico


I LONG TO RETURN TO MY ISLAND...and visit my family. I really miss my grandmother. She is 87. I wish she was able to fly up here but due to poor health she cannot.

I love that I come from a large family. That my mom is the eldest of 12 and my cousins are numerous. I can easily count over 60. They have great get-togethers during the holidays. They always find an occasion to celebrate life.


When I used to visit on a more regular basis as a child I remember laughter and singing. My family was always busy. We always had things to do, people to visit. Cousins to play with. If I got bored with one I moved to another.

I yearn to return...to immerse myself in the culture. To smell the ocean, hear the wind gently passing through the palm trees. To visit Old San Juan, the mountains, the rainforest....to taste the succulent food and taste the essence of Puerto Rico....



I love spending Christmas in Puerto Rico....with the pastelles, the parandas, the merriness of my family. "Navidad is the best of Puerto Rican culture. Nowhere else is Christmas celebrated like in Borinquen. Navidad is the time of tradition, aguinaldos, décimas, y de ser jíbaro Puertorriqueño."

(A favorite song of mine when I was growing up)...........

Romance del Campesino
Roberto Cole,



En las montañas de Borinquen bella
entre la sombras de un platanar,
vive mi amada linda doncella
la jíbarita de mi cantar.
Cantan las aves en la enramada
murmura el río una oración.
Y en la ventana de mi adorada
se oyen las notas de mi canción.
Ven aca jíbarita mia
que yo voy caminito a la ciuda'
que mañana nos vamos a pasia
en tu labio fecundo amor y rosa.
Ay lara lara lara lay, lo re lo lai lerola
Mi jíbarita de tez rosada
de negros ojos y gracias mil
esta esperandome en la ventana
y sonriendo me dice asi . . .
Dios te bendiga mi dulce amadote
doy ansiosa mi bendición
y con mis besos sueño adorado
se va contigo mi corazón.
Ven aca jíbarito mio,
no te vaya a quedar en la ciudad
que mañana nos vamos a casar
y te espero solita en el bohío.
Lara la raila relo lai, lo re lo lai lerola.
No hay otra tierra como mi tierra
de ricas mieles y buen café
por eso siempre mi vida entera
en mi bohío yo vivire.
Lerolay jíbarita hermosa
no te vaya a quedar en la ciuda'
que mañana nos vamos a casar
y te espero solito en el bohío.
Ay lara lara lara la lo relo lai lerola.


Website:

No comments: