Saturday, November 24, 2007

My Experiences in the Middle East

When I decided to visit the Gulf I received quite a few hard stares, well-meaning and at times very ignorant advice.

I always felt that we do not live in a vacuum. There are many cultures, creeds, and religions out there. We are not the center of the Universe. There are billions of people out there.

I was quite excited to visit UAE and Oman. I have always been enthralled with Middle Eastern culture since I was say 5 years of age.

I prepared myself mentally for the trip. Not only was it a long one...at least 24 hours to arrive...but to handle the animosity I was told I would receive since I was an American. Since 9/11 and the Iraqi and Afghani wars the reputation of America has been sullied.

I was told by more than one person to not reveal my nationality. Instead to say I was from Canada or even Puerto Rico (since my family is from the latter). I was adamant. I replied that I would let everyone know I was American. WHY hide this fact?

And when I arrived I was not spat upon or viewed in some kind of ill manner. Instead I was embraced and yes I was asked many questions but the Gulf Arabs I did meet were pleasantly surprised by my demeanor and enthusiasm for their culture and life in general. I did not have to veil. I did not have to "walk behind a man" as someone told me I would HAVE to do....all the preconceived notions that some of my co-workers and friends had were dispelled during my brief stay.

I loved the hospitality I received, knowing I was actually in the Gulf...that I was in the middle of such a historical site........I fell in love all over again.

I could easily tell that stereotypes about Americans and about Arabs is common and looks to be part of human nature (sadly)...but am glad that I was able to dispel some preconceived notions of what Americans are all about and show them the hospitality and friendliness that a lot of individuals from my own culture are infamous for........

No comments: