Friday, November 23, 2007

Man fights for Parental Rights.............

I had to post this story....I feel the rights of fathers will increase in the future. And rightly so. I am all for capable fathers (if the mother is incompetent) to raise the children. WHY shouldn't he???? There are many fathers out there who would make a better parent than the mother. Yet................It is still a taboo even in this open US society where men are not granted certain rights just because well.......they are a man. I have seen mothers gain full custody of a child just becaues they ARE the mother (& not even a good one) while at the same time the father would have made a more than capable full time parent.

I am in agreement when it comes to the lawyer of Daryl Hendrix who stated that in the end it will be the children who will be losing out on a possible relationship with the so-called "sperm donor". I become upset over selfish decisions made regarding artificial fertilization. Granted not all decisions made for this type of pregnancy are wrong...but when a parent is excluded because of selfish reasons...well I have seen as a single mom the sadness in my own child's face not being able to see her father. WHY someone would CHOOSE to go down this path and forgo any guilt regarding the absence of a parent is beyond me.......

Story:

A Topeka man is fighting a legal battle over parental rights, because his babies' mother says he is just the sperm donor.

Instead of enjoying parenthood, he said, he is spending his time trying to change a Kansas law.
Daryl Hendrix said, "All I can do is look forward to the future and holding my children."
Hendrix is a gay man who didn't think he would ever become a father. Then in 2004, the Topeka resident said a longtime female friend named Samantha Harrington approached him and asked if he would father a baby for her through artificial insemination.

...The twins were born in May 2005 at Stormont Vail Hospital in Topeka. Hendrix said when he went to the hospital to see the infants, a boy and a girl, he was turned away.

Website:

http://www.kctv5.com/news/14673759/detail.html

No comments: