Friday, November 23, 2007

'What would Jesus buy?'


I agree with Bill Talen. Will love to see this movie. The older I get the more I want to put my life and life in general into a semblance of normalcy.

I think Christmas has become far too commercialized to the point the true meaning is lost between the long lines at the dept. store to the mounds of presents one receives (then discards a few days later). I love getting presents but does a person has to go broke for goodness sake just to prove their love to someone? Seems to me that special Christmas magic has been lost to the dogma of commercialization of this treasured holiday. I would much rather have the gathering of family, a nice dinner and presents that don't break the bank. Going into debt well..............THAT does not make sense:

New York-based performance artist Bill Talen assumes the persona of Reverend Billy, often accompanied by a gospel choir, to use the histrionics and cadences of a televangelist (think Jimmy Swaggart) in an anti-consumerism effort to convert people to his "Church of Stop Shopping."

And for this year's Black Friday shopping frenzy, Talen is upping his profile with a colorful campaign promoting a new documentary film about his efforts, "What Would Jesus Buy?"
It will feature "Four Horsemen of the Shopocalypse" riding down Madison Avenue in New York and "elves on strike" at the Grove outdoor mall in Los Angeles, said Morgan Spurlock, who produced the film.

Website:

No comments: