Saturday, April 5, 2008

Advantages of Flex Time

My current job offers flex time. Flex time is an alternative to a usually rigid work schedule. It is a wonderful concept where an employee can come in at certain hours of the day and do your 8, 9 or whatever amount it is you do each and every day.

I prefer being the early bird because it still leaves me with a relative long afternoon once I am done for the day. My agency allows its employees to come in between the hours of 6am to 9:30am. We close our doors at 6pm. I usually come in somewhere in the middle. Sometimes when I know overtime is offered and I am rarin' to make me some extra $$$ I will come in at 6 so as I am able to work a 12 hour shift. (So if you call a federal agency that offers flex time and wonder why the hell you can never get a hold of someone it might be that they are done with their shift say at 2:30 or 3:30) so it would behoove you to call early.

Flex time is a extremely beneficial tool for retention in that an employee does not necessarily have to burn up their leave reserves in order to make a doctor, car, dentist whatever type of appointment.

It can make the difference between loosing an employee or keeping them.

If I ever decide to leave this place letting go of flex time will be mightily difficult. It can sort of spoil you.

No comments: