Saturday, April 5, 2008

Reasons why people blog

I blog for a variety of reasons...one of them and it is the main for me is that I love to write. I have been writing well since forever. I also love researching pretty much any subject matter. I compile the data and will paste it to my blog and with my sources. Sometimes I may forget to source something but I never intentionally try to pass off any idea here as my own unless I personally wrote about something regarding my life, family, work, perceptions etc...(you get what I mean).

I believe people blog for a variety of reasons. They want to vent anonymously or they wish to create new friends, generate some extra cash flow...the list can be endless. With the advent of cyberspace we can meet millions of people from around the world and are exposed to a myriad of ideas, some we will agree with and of course others we won't.

This article discusses the top 10 reasons why people blog and I found it enlightening:

Blogging can be a lot of work as many bloggers will attest. And yet, there are hundreds of thousands of people out there blogging every day. So why do people blog? Some do it for the money. In fact, a few people are making a lot of money blogging. Here are some examples:
In the post Look What Blogging Bought Me Problogger shows what he calls The House that Blogging Built. Darren Rowse is a professional full-time blogger. He has multiple blogs and seems to be doing quite well with his blogging income.

Jeremy Shoemaker makes a ton of money managing his blog and many other sites and domain names. Take a look at this $132,994 check he received for Adsense revenue from Google.
In the post How Much Is a Blog Post Worth? Would You Believe $2400 Each? Steve Pavlina describes that he writes for a lifetime of value, with a long-term view of investing in helping others, instead of selling out at $2 to $20 per post. Steve estimates the lifetime value of his blog archives at $1.2 million.

But the reality is that these bloggers are the exception. In the post Adsense Results for November – Poll Results, Problogger shows that from his poll of about 1,200 readers, about half earn less than $30 per month from Adsense revenue, and only 5% earned $10,000 or more per month. These results can probably be extrapolated to other forms of blogging income as well. The guys that are really getting rich blogging are the ones in the top 1%. But if you can be in the top 1% of just about any economic activity, you will probably be doing quite well.

If you need to be in the top 5% to make a good living out of blogging, and an estimated 50% make less than $30 per month, money cannot be the primary driver for blogging. So what are the reasons why people keep on blogging?

This is such an interesting topic that I thought it would be fun to come up with a top 10 reasons why people blog:

10. To share their thoughts with the world
9. Because it is therapeutic
8. To rant about something
7. Because they are bored
6. They still think they will make lots of money despite of all evidence to the contrary
5. It is fun
4. It is a creative outlet
3. They think they know something
2. They enjoy staying up until 3 in the morning
and the number one reason why people blog…..
1. Because email, eBay, YouTube, MySpace, iTunes, and all the other things they do online weren’t keeping them long enough in front of the computer, so they had to come up with one more thing.

Hmmm.......for me I think I know something............

Website:
http://ww-success.com/blog/index.php/2007/01/09/top-reasons-for-blogging/

No comments: